Do you have an LGBTQ-related question and you are not sure who to ask?
InQUEERies is here for you!
InQUEERies is LGBTQ Student Programs' anonymous Q&A resource for the KSU community. Anonymously ask your question(s) using the form below and we will post a response here within 10 days.
IMPORTANT: InQUEERies is only intended to be used for general education, identifying resources, and basic support. InQUEERies is not a substitute for and cannot provide counseling or crisis response services. If you or someone you know is experiencing stress, depression, anxiety, self-harm, or thoughts of suicide please contact Counseling and Psychological Services, KSU Police Department, and/or the Behavioral Response Team for professional support.
InQUEERies Submission Form
If I change my preferred name at KSU, will the university send mail addressed to my preferred name or legal name? I am closeted and living with family; I don't want to risk bring outed.
Yes, any mail received from KSU would reflect the preferred name on file. Once a preferred name change is requested and approved, your preferred name will override your given/legal name in most software systems used on campus. While there are exceptions to which systems will make use of preferred names, most campus communication will only refer to your preferred name. There is not an option for you to limit or select which systems will use preferred or legal/given name.
For a complete list of which systems use preferred name and which systems use legal/given names, please visit preferredname.kennesaw.edu/faqs.
Would you know of any resources for LGBTQ staff members, such as committees, events, listservs, etc.?A great way for staff and faculty to get involved with LGBTQ topics and initiatives on campus would be through the Presidential Commission on LGBTQ Initiatives. More information (such as charge, structure, and meeting dates) related to the Presidential Commission on LGBTQ Initiatives can be found on the Office Diversity and Inclusion’s website.
If I'm at GHC on the Marietta campus, am I allowed to be a part of the community there?Absolutely, we are happy to work with GHC students enrolled in classes on the Marietta campus. Please feel free to contact our office and we will be happy to discuss details.
I always see different statistics for how many people are LGBTQIA+, what percentage of millennials identify as such?
First, in order to begin to answer your question, we must first define who a Millennial is. According to Pew Research Center, a millennial is someone who was born between the years of 1981 and 1996 (Dimock, 2018). With a common understand of who qualifies as a Millennial established, we can begin to explore what data is available to answer your question.
In a 2017 survey conducted by Harris Poll, on behalf of GLAAD, 20% of Millennial respondents identified as being LGBTQ, whereas 12% of all respondents in the survey identified as LGBTQ. Of the 20% of Millennials who identified as LGBTQ, 8% identified themselves as being cis-gender and 12% identified themselves as being non-cisgender. It is important to note that the sample size for this study was just over 2,000 participants (GLAAD, 2017, p. 3).
In a 2016 survey conducted by Gallup, they found that 4.1% of the overall U.S. population identifies as LGBT and 7.3% of Millennials in the survey identified as LGBT (compared to 5.8% in 2012). This survey included over 1.6 million respondents (Gates, 2017).
If we narrow the focus and look only at college students, we find that 9.7% of respondents to the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) identified outside of being straight or heterosexual. Additionally, 1% of respondents in this study identified their gender as not being ‘Man’ or ‘Woman.’ It is important to note that the NSSE survey was conducted across 722 four-year colleges and universities in the US (650) and Canada (72) in 2017 and is administered to first-year and senior students at participating institutions (National Study of Student Engagement, 2017, pp. 6-7).
If we want to narrow further and only look at KSU, the 2014 Campus Climate Assessment Project for the Kennesaw Campus provides us with some data. In this survey, there were 3,573 students who participated in the survey (Rankin & Associates Consulting, 2014, p. 13). Of the students who participated, 0.64% identified as transgender or genderqueer and just over 19% of students identified as themselves as being non-heterosexual (Rankin & Associates Consulting, 2014, p. 196). This gives us a total percentage of 19.64% of Kennesaw Campus students identifying as LGBTQ. The same survey was distributed to the Marietta Campus in 2015. That survey had 712 student respondents, of which 1.4% identified as genderqueer and 15.5% identified their sexuality as non-heterosexual (Rankin & Associates Consulting, 2015, pp. 14, 148). This gives us a total percentage of 16.9% of students on the Marietta Campus identifying as LGBTQ.
So to answer your question in the best way possible, between 7.3% and 20% of Millennials identify as LGBTQ.
I'm an incoming freshman for fall 2018, I'm curious what all is available to the queer community. I'm gay and really want to surround myself with a queer positive community.
LGBTQ Student Programs realizes the transition to college can be both exciting and challenging. Being engaged with the campus community is an important part of a well-rounded college experience. A few ways to get involved with LGBTQ Student Programs that may be of particular interest for first-year students are:
- The LGBTQ First-Year Learning Community, created in partnership with University College.
- Stonewall Housing, KSU’s gender-inclusive and LGBTQ-affirming housing community.
- The LGBTQ Resource Center, located in the Carmichael Student Center (Kennesaw Campus).
- LGBTQ Student Programs offers four community groups that focus on specific identities and experiences within LGBTQ Communities:
- LGBTQ Student Programs hosts a variety of annual programs including participating in Atlanta Pride, LGBTQ History Month, National Coming Out Day, and much more.
- The Safe Space Student Leadership Initiative (SSLI) is another great way to get involved on campus. SSLI offers leadership development opportunities to cohort members. Additionally, SSLI trains students to peer-facilitate workshops covering LGBTQ awareness topics.
In addition to the programs and initiatives offered by LGBTQ Student Programs, KSU has a LGBTQ student organization on campus. Kennesaw Pride Alliance (KPA) is a student led organization that hosts campus-wide events each semester and monthly meetings. To learn more about KPA, visit their OwlLife page.
We hope you take part in some or all of the programs listed. As always, our staff is available to answer any questions you may have. We can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 470-578-7926.
What steps do you take to protect students in the closet?
The LGBTQ Resource Center is a great place for students to learn more about LGBTQ communities and to connect with other students who may identify within the spectrum of LGBTQ communities and identities. The LGBTQ Resource Center is a public space accessible to all students, staff, and faculty at KSU. Because it is a public space expectations of privacy cannot be enforced or guaranteed between students; however, privacy is expected and respected among all staff in the LGBTQ Resource Center.
LGBTQ Student Programs does not collect or store information on how a student may identify along the spectrum of LGBTQ identities. If students choose to share this information with our staff, we do not share it with others unless the student has given us permission to do so. Our staff respects the privacy of all students and maintains this privacy whenever possible. Some exceptions to this could be:
- If the information shared with professional staff falls under the scope of the Clery Act or Title IX. All professional staff within the office are considered Mandatory Reports and/or Campus Security Authorities under these laws.
- If there is a concern related to a student’s safety or well-being and their LGBTQ identity is relevant information to attend to the concern being reported.
If a student has specific questions or concerns, we encourage them to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 470-578-7926, or to stop by the LGBTQ Resource Center located in suite 253 in the Carmichael Student Center.
Inqueeries isn't a word, why wouldn't you use the proper word?InQUEERies is a play on words combining the terms inquiry and queer. Inquiry means to make a request for information and the term queer is sometimes used as an umbrella term for the myriad of identities associated with LGBTQ communities. InQUEERies is meant to reflect how the program provides a space for the campus community to have questions about LGBTQ related topics answered.
What does LGBTQ stand for?
Excellent question! LGBTQ is an acronym for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer and/or Questioning. LGBTQ is often used to refer to the larger community of folks who may not identify as straight/heterosexual or cisgender (meaning a person identifies with the sex they were assigned at birth). This broader interpretation of LGBTQ is more inclusive of all the various identities that a person may use outside of the terms lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, or questioning. It is important to note that LGBTQ is only one of many acronyms that may be used for the community, other common combinations are LGBTQIA (where the 'I' and 'A' stand for intersex and asexual), GLBTIQ, and TLGBQ.
Give us your feedback!
Did we miss something in a response? Do you have something you would like to add? Let us know! You can submit your feedback using the form above or email us at email@example.com. (Please note that email responses will not be anonymous).