The Volunteerism and Service Learning Support office supports and assists faculty
and staff by providing resources, information, and support for courses that include
volunteering or a service-learning component. Please be sure to visit the Service Learning Support section of our website by clicking HERE or navigating to it via the menu option in the lefthand column.
Resources and opportunities for faculty/staff include:
Course support - Our VKSU/Get Connected online system allows students to set up profiles, search for volunteer opportunities, and track their service hours online. This is particularly helpful for any courses who are requiring service hours for class credit. For best results, we recommend that VKSU/Get Connected instructions are a) included in the syllabus, and b) VSLS staff are invited to present to the class on navigating the VKSU/Get Connected system.
Validating student service hours - In order to validate student service hours, students must set up a profile within VKSU/Get Connected, respond to a need listed in the VKSU/Get Connected system, participate in the service, and log their hours. After logging their hours, students must await approval (or denial if records are incongruent) from the agency with whom they volunteered and the VSLS office. Once hours have been approved by the agency and VSLS office, students are then able to log in to the VKSU/Get Connected system to export and print out the "Official Volunteer Resume" of all the hours they have logged through the VKSU/Get Connected system in the designated time period. They can this submit this official record to their professor to confirm that they have met the service requirement for the course. For step-by-step instructions on how students can locate, export, and save/print their official volunteer resume, click HERE.
Consultations - If you are interested in adding a service component to your course, our staff will meet with you to customize some options that may be available. The course design can be as simple adding an extra credit service project or a more in-depth level of learning requiring a more substantial amount of hours through direct service, civic engagement, or activism.
Group service projects - Contact us if your department is interested in participating in a volunteer project as a group. This is a great way to build morale while contributing to the needs of the community. Our staff can meet with you to discuss some resources and options.
Class presentations - Our staff is available to present to your class about utilizing the system, finding the right volunteer opportunities for them and the benefits of volunteering and civic engagement. If you are interested in requesting a class presentation, complete the form below.
Request volunteers for an event/project - If you are planning an event or project and could utilize volunteers, contact our department and we can help you recruit students to assist. Before contacting us with your request for student volunteers, please ensure that your opportunity meets the following criteria. If your request does not meet all of the below criteria, but does meet the last three (**), we will still gladly publicize your request to all of our students through social media, but unfortunately will not be able to add this need to our VKSU/Get Connected site.
- Requests must be submitted at least ten days in advance of the service date for which you are requesting volunteers. The sooner you submit a request, the longer we will have to promote to volunteers and more likely we will be to provide volunteers for your event.
- Date(s) of service for which you are seeking volunteers must be during periods of time when students are currently enrolled in classes (e.g. not during Fall Break, Spring Break, Winter Break, Administrative Closings, Summer break, etc.). For a complete list of KSU administrative closings/breaks/etc. please click HERE.
- Date(s) of service cannot be during the university's official exam period. For exam dates, click HERE.
- The specific duties that student volunteers will be fulfilling must be communicated to VSLS explicitly. Should the actual volunteer duties performed differ from those communicated to VSLS, VSLS has the right to remove your agency/organization/department from soliciting for any future volunteers through the VKSU/Get Connected system.
- Service requests should not place student volunteers in harm's way, or expose them to drug/alcohol consumption. (**)
- Service requests should not utilize KSU volunteers to sell items or collect money for an agency or institution. (**)
- Volunteerism and Service Learning Support (VSLS) is committed to providing a safe and productive environment for our students whether they are on campus or in the community. Therefore, volunteer opportunities posted to the Volunteer Kennesaw website must be open to all students regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, mental/physical ability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Any opportunity that does not meet this requirement will be excluded from the site. (**)